Twitter Users Slam OnlyFans' Decision to Ban Explicit Sexual Content

Saturday August 21, 2021
Originally published on August 20, 2021

Twitter Users Slam OnlyFans' Decision to Ban Explicit Sexual Content

On Thursday OnlyFans, the site where content is shared for profit, announced that it will be banning "sexually explicit" content after October 1.

Content creators will "still be allowed to put up nude photos and videos, provided they're consistent with OnlyFans' policy, the company said Thursday," wrote Bloomberg, who broke the news on August 19.

"The popularity of the social-media service exploded during the pandemic as sex workers, musicians and online influencers used it to charge fans for exclusive access to photos, videos and other material. OnlyFans has attracted more than 130 million users," Bloomberg wrote.

"The changes are needed because of mounting pressure from banking partners and payment providers, according to the company. OnlyFans is trying to raise money from outside investors at a valuation of more than $1 billion."

According to Axios, OnlyFans "is struggling to find outside investors, according to multiple sources."

"In order to ensure the long-term sustainability of our platform, and continue to host an inclusive community of creators and fans, we must evolve our content guidelines," OnlyFans said. The company is run by its founder, Tim Stokely, and owned by Leonid Radvinsky, an internet entrepreneur.

"Founded in 2016, OnlyFans anticipated revenue more than tripling in 2021 — to an estimated $1.2 billion, up from $375 million last year, per the Axios report, citing the company's presentation for prospective backers. But the drastic change in the OnlyFans business model to prohibit X-rated material will surely put a dent in its revenue prospects," reported Variety.

"OnlyFans claims it has paid out $5 billion to more than 2 million creators to date, with a base of 130 million-plus registered users. According to its terms, the company keeps 20% of revenue generated by creators."

"This had been a long time coming," popular gay adult performer and OnlyFans creator Rocco Steele tells Out in reaction to the news of the site getting rid of explicit videos. "I've been hearing threats since I started on this platform almost 4 years ago."

"Is it an unfortunate thing? Sure it is," Steele continues. "But now it's time for gay-owned and censor-free platforms such as Justfor.fans and 4my.fans to reap the benefits when we all permanently leave OnlyFans and fans follow us to these platforms."

Response on Twitter was swift and largely negative, with many decrying the decision as impacting sex workers, including many queer ones.